Secret Garden Overhaul Part II

Last summer I took on the challenge of the overgrown garden. Check out my Secret Garden Part I post if you missed the before/after. By the time I got to the back portion of the garden it was August. It was hot and humid, and I was over landscaping and yard work. As much as I was dreading it, I could not leave it alone. The overgrown mess was such an eyesore, and I suspected it was the cause of my cat problem. The pictures are from mid March. It was so overgrown in the summer that it was hard to see the space. So imagine this, but ten times worse in August. Ugh!

3EA7F215-62A3-40BE-B06E-ABD31F91C65E

535AFD51-F10A-4FDD-B224-8F1FCC7FBDB0

IMG_3204

BDDF56C2-36FB-4EEA-949E-E3BF6C5EC74D

EFA6C07D-5066-47EA-9A18-E89BDCE315CB

 

1E859A7E-A354-4993-97BA-821EDF2B7E5B

I decided to rip out the overgrowth, tidy up the area, and focus on planting shrubs the following year. Just removing the ground covering made a huge difference.

IMG_5564

IMG_5565

Next, I took on the task of digging out rocks and the rest of the bricks. Rocks. There were so many rocks in the garden! Oh, and let’s not forget the occasional seashell of course.

shell

I dumped the rocks in my alley and posted a free notification online for my neighbors. Twenty minutes later, the rocks were gone. I did this FOUR times! Apparently, rocks are a hot commodity and I received several e-mails requesting more rocks. I’m happy they were put to good use, and more importantly that I didn’t have to haul them away!

rocks

I laid down weed barrier fabric, and mulched the flowerbeds. I planted hostas in-between the three camellia bushes. I also planted ferns I had found growing among the ground covering at the end of the flowerbed.

IMG_5566

976A46FC-F56E-4076-8D26-8D432C457EA4

I put weed barrier fabric across the middle of the space and dumped over a ton of pebbles on top. This will help keep the ground covering from growing back. Yay, more rocks!

CF73483A-249C-4435-B746-F752C754F0CC

6943C9B0-D346-42FF-87C5-216BAF938BF2

38C575CE-4485-4D0F-B520-C7419AA7D980

3DB9F64E-9C4C-46E4-AC14-BD982C1607C5

20103540-A1CD-44FF-94C7-4FC26FEB59BF

A fence was installed for more privacy, and the wrought iron entrance gate removed. I used the entrance gate for decor since it matched the rest of the fencing scattered throughout the garden.

B2EF5DD5-7810-4215-A683-61CF53B8C08B (1)

6E03394F-857F-4301-B637-E42AF91ADF58

Now that the majority of the work is complete, this spring I plan to rip out the Japanese laurels and plant hydrangeas all the way across the back. I’ve also purchased some astilbe bulbs to plant in the empty spaces and between the trees.

I’m happy to report all of my fertilizing and pruning last year paid off. My neglected camellias have more buds then ever! I can’t wait to see how they look come spring!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s