Laundry Room

Laundry room may be a bit of a stretch at the moment. Perhaps laundry corner is more appropriate? The house had a washer and dryer in the basement, but they didn’t work. The basement had flooded at some point and they were ruined in the flood. My washer and dryer were sold with the house, so I was out of luck. I’d have to buy new appliances. I decided to take advantage of the latest holiday sale and purchased a washer and dryer from Sears. Total cost, including delivery, was less than $700!

IMG_4937

The basement walls got a coat of white paint to brighten the space, and the floor was painted gray. Please excuse the dish rag curtain. Once the basement is spruced up I’ll invest in better window treatments LOL!

I’d like to turn this area into a proper laundry room with tile and cabinets, but the washer shares a wall with the Outhouse. Since I plan to turn the Outhouse into a half bath it makes sense to wait and renovate both at the same time.

FullSizeRender

Over the weekend I checked out the Cedar Grove United Methodist community flea market in Parkton and scored a new laundry tub (with a nice faucet and hook up) for $15! Mine is covered in paint and has seen better days. I plan to install the new tub in the next few weeks. It was a beautiful day to ride around and check out the other sales and farmers markets in the neighborhood!

IMG_4943

When I purchased the house the basement had a cave cricket infestation. Apparently, these ugly and frightening creatures thrive in dark moist places and jump at their predators as a defense mechanism. Enter my basement, specifically the laundry tub drain and the area near the basement door.

camelcricketmacro

First day of renovations, I turned on the faucet to clean a paint brush and four of these suckers jumped out of the drain and into my face! I screamed bloody murder. At the time I didn’t even know what they were! *shudder* The crickets would migrate up to the kitchen drain, and it became a habit to wave my paint brush over any sink to avoid getting a face full of cricket.

Luckily the infestation was easily taken care of by spraying bug spray around the foundation. I also purchased a dehumidifier at Lowes to help rid the basement of moisture. By the time I moved in the cave crickets had been eradicated.

IMG_4942

The basement continues to be an ongoing project, and as the opportunity arises a little is getting done here and there. In the meantime, I get to enjoy my new washer and dryer!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s